6/20/2005

X&Y on first listen.




yup. i think this will be really good. must get away from my really-wanting-this-to-be-good feeling. first listen through a concert P.A. reveals some ambition. I hear a conscious and as near as I can tell effective circling of the stylistic wagons. That off-kilter backbeat, the 16th note downbeat guitar attack, the gospely piano. Always good. refine, refine. You can cut out a lot of garbage when you know what you're writing for.

The third album is make or break. This sophomore slump stuff is an urban legend. A million bands have second albums that they never touch again. "Hard Days Night", "Zenyatta", "Stranded", "War", "Fear of Music", "The Man Who Sold The World" and "The Who Sell Out" are all third albums. Jellyfish never made it to their third. More's the shame.

thanks Coldplay for taking over the world with good, creative work and good breaks. more on this album later. For now let's be grateful for that rare, celebrating-the-Now sensation of hearing a good NEW record not made by robots.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bobby Lightfoot said...

Ha! Sounds like you've got as much invested in _not_ liking it as I have in liking it.

"Dad-rock". That's awesome. I'm putting that in my lexicon right between "Complaint Rock" and "Agenda Rock".

The thing that is the most twisted? This really REALLY bugs me- people aren't even COOL enough to god forbid wave lighters anymore.

NOW THEY WAVE CELL PHONES. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Bobby Lightfoot said...

Exactly what I was thinking.

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Bobby I really WANTED to like this record, I really did. After Rush Of Blood To The Head I was kinda expecting them to make a giant leap forward and produce a Dark Side Of The Moon for the 21st century. In my opinion X&Y sounds like musical water-treading, cementing their retirement funds or Apple Paltrow-Martin's university tuition fees via guitar, piano, bass, drums, vocals.
.
The ambition is missing on this album. It sounds like they've focus grouped The Coldplay Sound, rather than going balls-out and pushing the envelope a bit. If I had come to this record without hearing their first two releases I might like it, but in the grand scheme of things it's so safe that it's a big disappointment.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and the cell-phone waving bit? Aren't they just trying to record the gig with their fancy MP3 playing, video capturing, tea-making, personal organising state of the art cell-phones?
.
The worst ones are the ones that make a call during the gig:
"Yeah, I'm at The Harridans gig. They're crap! Listen!!" and they hold their phone up so that the person on the other end can hear.
.
The tossers.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Bobby Lightfoot said...

Imagine 'em in the frontier days. Pussies would've run at the first sign of Injun Trouble.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home