4/06/2006

Bobby Lightfoot's Week Of Beauty #4: "Grey Gardens" by Sir Rufus Wainwright


DO it, Rufus. WORK that theme. Work that gorgeous, astringent, arch, sneaking-into-minor theme. God damn is this writing. What we've got here is a beautiful, brilliant reworking of a four-bar motif over and over by a master. This way for the verse, this way for the bridge, this way for the chorus. Jump a key. Jump back. Render it in a diminished mode. Take it into the dark. Pull it back into the sun. Hell, give the melody to the bass for 3 seconds. You're Rufus. You can. Actually, I can too. Just with me it goes in a drawer and rots is all. Ah, well.

My next lifetime I'm going to be HUGE. And I'll have a giant dong. And great hair.

If this wasn't a gay anthem I would so cover it. Maybe I just change "Tadzio" into "Tadzia". Before it went in the drawer.

Week Of Beauty! Fuck yeah! I could get used to this.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gay, shmay. They ruined a whole season of M*A*S*H by having his dad appear as "Captain Spaulding," who happened to have a guitar and who happened to sing an awful song that they forced into the plot each week. All opn the "strength" of that hideous "Dead Skunk" abomination that befouled the radio airwaves for what seemed like an eternity in 1972. He had a hit with massive airplay and a gig on one of the most popular TV shows of all time, and Bobby Lightfoot didn't, which proves there's no God and no justice. The whole Wainwright family is dead to me. I have a long memory and I can carry a grudge forever. 34 years? Just getting warmed up....

10:35 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

I see why you like this song in particular - it's got a definite New Wave thing going on. Certain moments sound like they could be XTC. Funny, I never thought of Rufus Wainwright as New Wavey before.

The only thing more brilliant than substituting G6 for an Em between the Bm and the F (when he's singing "Honey won't you hold me tight") is that he only does it twice.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Neddie said...

It'd be a whole lot more Beautiful if I could get these polesmokers to stream on my Mac. WTF am I doing wrong? Windoze Media thing pops, and then it just chugs for an hour.

Gives me a case of the screaming nmhzddrs, it does.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home