11/01/2006

Christ, all that fucking money.


What it means in th' great scheme I don't know (although my strong suspicion is nothing) but I just sold my first fucking radio ad for a ridiculous amount of money. I mean, it's probably no great shakes to you but you have to realize that I'm a pauper down to my very nature. It's just that I want to spend time with my music and in my head. I have no problem with performing in front of people god knows but that ain't investment banking pay. I don't swing with th' 9 to 5 real good an unfortunately it gets worse with age. I've tried to keep my financial and personal encumbrances such that I can just live the way I live without being a burden or a liability to anyone. I even manage to sock a little away but that usually gets cleaned out when we need a pound of coffee or some bread.

Plus, until a few years ago I always thought it would be temporary until the world realized my indisputable talent and viability.

Yeah, this fuckin' ad. It's definitely more money than I've made with any of my commercially-challenged convolutions. It's more cash than I'd make from 20 Soulfinger shows. And now there's talk of more work. I'm glad I took this seriously and hit it out of the park for this agency. It was hard because that's never done me a fuck of good and you get sick of continually putting out. For bupkes. Bupkes, baby.

I mean, it's not like a fuckin' inheritance or anything, but it is eye-opening. Plus, if I start to feel guilty and compromised about it I can just remember that the fucking world never bought my god damn records so they can gently suck and nuzzle me bepimpled scrotum for all I fucking care. Christ, all that fucking money. I could really set up shop, you know?

I love the thing bands do when they make some bread and they set up their whole complex to leap into their recording career but they've just had their recording career.

6 Comments:

Blogger roxtar said...

If you're gonna be a whore, you might as well be a high-priced whore! Hey, Mozart worked on commission, too! And kudos to EOTM for the "Mr. Blandings" reference.

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's not selling out until you pitch a piece of music that at one point meant something more than fast cash. there's art and there's craft. nothing wrong with building the tools people need to do their own work.

they eventually lost the job, but ween was once hired to write a song for pizza hut:

http://www.sliceny.com/archives/2004/02/weens_unrelease.php

a great quote from gener left out of this piece: "when i think of pizza hut i think of six pounds of cheese and shitty pizza. our song was perfect for that."

8:35 PM  
Blogger Bobby Lightfoot said...

classic, sweet dick. Of course you're right.

I'll dig that there link. Ween is god. Everybody knows that.

2:42 AM  
Blogger Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

Personally, I just hope you never do anything with whistling. When I hear that god-damned motherfucking Wendi's commercial on the radio, I fall into a trenchcoat mafia-style rage. Here's the format:

[stupid whistling jingle], then [really dumb joke], then [pitch the 99 cent artery clogger], then [end with that fucking whistle again].

The whistle, I've decided, is Wendi's conescending way of telling America that we're all fucking stupid animals. The subtext is: Pavolv was right; we whistle and you buy our shit.

As an afterthought, I just realized that this may not be a commercial you're familiar with. As a second afterthought, forget all I've said. I gotta admit: Pay me a few grand, and I'd happily come up with a whistle jingle, too.

That's when you know you're a true mercenary, my friend -- when you start doing the whistling thing. You haven't sold out yet -- not in my book. Plus, I got a real kick out of the manic "we got all kinds of fuckin' cars" thing.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

[Sorry for the typos, above.] -PH

11:10 AM  
Blogger DaddyMike said...

Excellent.

If you haven't heard any Mommyheads, let me know. He does jingles now for an agency and makes a decent living, and he still does gigs.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home