3/31/2005

That's When I Knew It Was Over 2


When I was a brilliant young songwriter in 1992 I made a bit of a splash with the publishing branch of Island Records in LA. Not enough for anything to actually happen, of course, because nothing ever _really_ happens, but enough for them to want to have me keep sending my brilliant, commercially untenable music to them for their personal collections. You see, they don't listen to any of the shit that they peddle, god forbid.
So, I took a trip out to LA to enhance the personal collections of A&R and publishing people in the summer of '92. The young woman from Island was now with A&M and took a meeting with me at A&M Records on La Brea. Home of The Police and Joe Jackson, dig?
So we're chatting away in her office and she pulls out a lyric sheet from a new A&M record that was to be released in a month. It was "Cop Killer" by Ice T and she was really excited about it. "Groundbreaking," she gushed. "Brave and bold and innovative!"

I got my twelve gauge sawed off
I got my headlights turned off
I'm 'bout to bust some shots off
I'm 'bout to dust some cops off


Cop killer, better you than me
Cop killer, fuck police brutality!
Cop killer, I know your family's grievin'
(fuck 'em)
Cop killer, but tonight we get even


I got my brain on hype
Tonight'll be your night
I got this long-assed knife,
and your neck looks just right.
My adrenaline's pumpin'
I got my stereo bumpin'
I'm 'bout to kill me somethin'
A pig stopped me for nuthin'!




That's when I knew it was over.


 Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home