2/13/2007

So What I'm Doing Now


Is trying to get my head around the concept of entertaining without a net. With a piano, two hands and one asshole. And that means a lot of sitting and damn playing. And singing.

One searches for what's deep, deep inside the song and tries to mine it when it's the song that's going to carry the thing. Just the song and the performance; the narrative, I guess.

So I'm digging deep, deep into the grooves of the numbers for the thing that comes before worrying about execution: meaning. Meaning and humanity. If it ain't there, man- it goes out the window, doesn't it? Who wants to go digging into a song and find nothing? If that's th' outcome I might as well be Jerstin Termberlake, right?

Don't have much voice right now after some odd days of belting for pennies but let's see what happens when I dust off one of my bits and give it a rip. Rhodes has got a little rattle on B under middle C and I've got a few bad spots in m'range but that's not what matters at this stage. And it better not 'cause this ain't perfection.

But it's live, you know? It's the test, man. I'll throw more of these up as I struggle with them and see how they weather and what they need in order to weather.

Somewhere down th' road a few I might just have me a show.

"Matinee"

12 Comments:

Blogger Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

Thought maybe the 4shared password was "cole" or "porter." But, it wasn't...

9:54 AM  
Blogger bobby lightfoot said...

Sorry- password disabled. That's what it would've been, though.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

Nice tune... I always liked that effect of poetic enjambment in songs, where you have rhymes like "...mother took me to a movie..." coupled with "...art of losing gracefully..." Really carries the melody forward rather than focusing on end-stopped rhymes/phrases.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Damn. I've known this song for over a year now and always liked it a lot, but until now I'd never really heard it, if you know what I mean. In other words, stay on this path a while: it goes good places.

11:37 AM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

One of my favorites, and damn good stripped down - just you and her.

7:33 PM  
Blogger mdhatter said...

You ever listen to the Dresden Dolls?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyhXuHyK514

just a thought.

8:09 PM  
Blogger bobby lightfoot said...

If th' thought is that Amanda and I must wed, well, yeah.

8:29 PM  
Blogger mdhatter said...

The whole 'without a net' thing made me think of it. Glad you know of their name-taking ass-kicking. Normally I hate sounding like a fawning fan of a band, but for her i think the universe made an exceptuon... I can too.

Have you read her blog? posts about every 2 weeks, but it;s a novel unto itself. Apparently there is solo work in the works, and the Dolls may or may not currently exist.

4:02 AM  
Blogger Larry Jones said...

Sorry to say this publicly but I couldn't find an email address for you. I really like your music - the playing, the singing, the arranging. It's a treat to hear, and thanks for posting the stuff on your blog. If Blue Girl's fake Grammy's
were a real competition, I'd be the pathetic loser in the audience, smiling bravely and clapping a little too vigorously, while you'd be at the podium, going on and on and ignoring the orchestra until the amazon in the sequined gown would have to take your arm firmly and guide you offstage. They know martial arts, you know.

7:06 PM  
Blogger bobby lightfoot said...

You're such a lovely audience I'd like to take you home with us.

Blowing Shit- Love the word "enjambment". When I was a kid in South America rutting dogs often stopped traffic when they experienced this.

Mssr. Du Ben- I thank you and promise I shall.

Vis a Vis Count- it's weird without the "Band On The Run" Moog sounds, ain't it?

MDA Hatter- wow, I will certainly dig that. Good shit.

Larry Jones! Welcome. Jumped over to your world just long enough to cast my vote for putting Justin Tamerlane back in the Disney Deepfreeze until he's 34.

I appreciate the kind words from another guy who obviously gets it. If I could somehow tap the goddamn market of young-end boomers who buy Nora Jones because everything else is a fragrance ad, man, then I'd have something.

Here's a link to my cheezoid Broadjam site for many more hours of listening fun.

http://www.broadjam.com/bobbylightfoot

Sorry I can't do that evil linking voodoo.

String sections! Harmonies! Pianos! Dominant 11th chords! Commercial suicide!

Rock thou on.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Very smooth Mr. L. I enjoy your songs that give the O fo SW a coffee break and your vocals + lyrics are the only thing you need to pay attention to right out of the gate. I take pride in playing your comps for friends and telling them that I knew you when you were imfamous..

11:10 AM  
Blogger bobby lightfoot said...

Gary!!!! what's up?

You knew me when I was a _recent_ failure! Haaaa.

Thanks dude- hope all's good. Cheers to everybody.........

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home