2/20/2006

Soulfinger Memories.


Being an abridged version of amusing anecdotes of th' last two weeks.

2.9: Airport Road Cafe: Band is finally fired after three months of using this club for auditions and rehearsals. Repeatedly raising the price of Jagermeister in hopes of discouraging Ace McClintock's prodigious thirst has been a useless exercise.

I don't think we ever really recovered from the underwear flying off the fan onto the bar. And bringing up five or six non-musicians to cover while we make a quick little food run. For an hour. Fucking Soulfinger.

2.10 Lighthouse, New London, CT:

A tight little show.

2.11 Iron Chef, Essex, CT:

-cancelled on account of two feet of snow.

2.12: Somewhere in Glastonbury CT:

-see above. What a break. Awesome to have a weekend for the first time in ages. Went for a little quail hunting and shot a lawyer.

2.17: Gristmill, Killington VT:

-Can't remember. I think it was fine. I found a console piano in a far-flung corner of the capacious hotel and spent most of my weekend there.

2.18: Gristmill, Killington VT:

so, tonight the famous Buckinghams, an American act that made good many eons ago by acting like they were British Invasion were playing at some resort and they showed up here later. Of course they got up on stage with Soulfinger to do "Kind Of A Drag" and it was surreal. Ace fatally insulted the singer which amused me no end. The imp of th' perverse, I suppose.

They bummed me out a little because they were so plastic and showbiz with their whole deal. I thought it would be really funny to ask one of them if they were from The Suckinghams. I got a little chip with the successful to be honest and I put them back in their place with a little "Hard To Handle" Otis-style. Being better than The Famous is the thing to be. Although I have to say "Kind Of A Drag" is something of a gem. When I was 2 and it came out.

Then there's this guy at this place who shows up every now and then and sits in on tambourine. Yeah. I introduced him as one of the original members of The Sir Douglas Quintet, the humor of which will be apparent to anyone with a good background in '60's pop. This guy kills me: he's a little off, and actually is quite a good tambourinist. When he leaves he tucks his tambourine into his jacket. I was like, "hey- he brings his own ax."

2.19 Gristmill, Killington VT:

Fine little show tonight. Tomorrow we set up at a soundstage in CT for a video shoot with the new 10-piece Soulfinger with a horn section and a third singer. Crazy. For the big money.

4 Comments:

Blogger roxtar said...

I can't believe you've been soldiering along all this time without the mighty and majestic Hammond B-3.

I once saw a guy get a patch of his hair pulled out by the rotating horn in a Leslie cabinet. He went from David Clayton-Thomas to Lord Sutch by way of Jay Hawkins, all in the course of a dotted half-note.

Small stage, long hair, free drinks: a cautionary tale.

When his scalp left his skull, it sounded something like this: shbqjdtx!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

I'm gonna catch this act sometime. It'll happen...

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks like a retarded Peter Buck on the far left of that Buckinghams album sleeve.
.
Anger is an enexg.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Bobby Lightfoot said...

ha! ha ha ha!

YOU fuckin' guys should write this blog.

Love the Leslie scalping. Fucking awesome.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home